Friday, November 14, 2008

(confusion)

So, I'm about eighty pages into Julie Garwood's Shadow Dance.

It's not looking too good.
It's........ boring!! (What is going on?!) I almost-kinda want to put it down!

I'm superbly confused because I don't remember who so-and-so and nick-alec-theo from the previous novels. Strange, because I was a huge fan of Garwood and I've read most of her books when I was a n00b romance reader.

I'm also confused because her writing style is proving to be very lackluster. Have my preferences changed or is she just becoming a bad writer? There is too much unnecessary backstory that isn't setting the grounds for anything special in particular... not much interaction with the hero. The wit of the heroine is smart-alecky but falls a little dry.

My gosh! I really am becoming a romance-book-elitist!! (aka BIG bitch!)

Ms. Garwood,
I hope this book improves itself - shortly - or I will have to pull all the plugs and say some mean things.

Don't make me do this.

Ransom, one of your earlier medieval historicals is a fun book to reread and if I recall correctly, I've liked most of your contemporaries.

Please have something kind-of-worthwhile happen soon. I think the book is turning out to be a romantic suspense (insert mild groan here) but since it seems to be taking this (unfortunate) route, make it work!

Sincerely yours,
Alice

No comments: