Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why all the fuss?

If it won't offend, I'd like to take this time to say some mean things.


Why, oh why, is Janet Evanovich so freakin' popular?
I just don't get it.

I slugged through three-and-a-quarter of those blasted Plum books and finally put the third down down 25% of the way, thinking, 'My gosh, I can't get through this.'

I guess Plum is cute in a really pathetic kind of way. Like, as a bounty hunter, she's useless, but entertaining. Right? Kind of like Britney Spears on-stage in a bikini with her belly fat hanging out. Cute (-ish.......) in a pathetic way, but a little entertaining.

Evanovich has written fourteen of those blasted books... and on the NY Times website, her 14th is currently a hardback bestseller. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm quick to drop things once I get bored. I stopped reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series when I didn't feel like finishing Talon's (Tamon? Taren? Tarin? Oh, what was his name from the fifth book???) book. I stopped reading the In Death series after the ninth or so book.

But at least with those books, I can attest to the fact that they're half-decently written. I feel that Evanovich's writing is less than impressive. It's dry in an unfunny way and though Ranger and Morelli sound delicious, it sounds as if she goes back and forth between both the men later on in the series. C'mon, woman! Pick one and stick with him, yeah? Please?

Don't the books get repetitive after a while?

I don't know.
I just don't get it.

3 comments:

Casee said...

Oh, Alice, you are my new favorite blogger. LOL. I wonder the same thing. I've read three of the books. I can't imagine reading eleven more. I thought they were cute and funny. It's the love triangle I can't get over.

Anonymous said...

Alice really?? You don't like them?? I'm shocked!! :O ROFL Just kidding. As a devoted Ranger Babe, who did buy one of said hardcover copies of 14 I have no answer. Other than, we all have different tastes and these obviously don't suit yours. I loaned one & two to a friend thinking that she would love them and she didn't even start two. My SIL borrowed them, I was sure she'd hate them and she loves them. *shrug* At least you stopped so you can read something you do like. :)

Holly said...

I think they're hilarious in a mind-numbing entertainment way, but they certainly aren't literary classics. I stopped after 12 (and to be honest? I can't believe I lasted that long).

I'm still highly dedicated to the In Death Series, but I completely gave up on SK's Dark Hunters AND Ward's BDB. I'm so not all about trying to keep up with THOSE.